Friday, February 17, 2012

Meeting Destiny (Destiny 1) by Nancy Straight

Summary:
Lauren is visited in her dreams for years by a stranger claiming to be her destiny. Destiny becomes reality when paths cross during a failed robbery attempt. Lauren and the stranger experience chemistry like no other and now her doubt over her long time relationship with her high school sweetheart is not her only secret…someone else knows about her keen intuition and sixth sense.A mysterious clairvoyant seeks Lauren out and tells her not only of her life now but what the future may hold. Soon Lauren is in the middle of a murder investigation and a questionable friendship with the key suspect. Law enforcement, friends and family are concerned for Lauren but unfortunately they are unaware of the true danger…Sinister forces are at work and will stop at nothing to destroy Lauren’s abilities.

Reviewer: Fashionta
Another wonderful cover attracted me to this book and the fact the it was an indie author was a bonus. I have stayed away from YA paranormals even though paranormal is one of my favorite genres. So this was a nice change and I am regretting not picking up more YA books in this genre as the only time I seem to read them is for reviewing.

This is the first in a trilogy and sets up the storyline. I love the opening scenes, honestly it's one of the best I've read in YA. It reads more like something you would see half way through a book, like a climax and it's the perfect way to start this novel as it gives all the same details we would expect from an opening chapter but we get bonus features lol.

The only negative thing I would say is I would have liked to see more of her dad and her brother. Her mom is such a strong character and I would like to have seen a close family member's perspective on more of the events. I know we got Seth and Max’s opinions but those events where pretty major events. Also, I would like more details in to the days hiking, as it seemed not enough information for me. I know it went the way where it the end leavings you wanting more but doesn’t feel incomplete itself, so I would have liked the hiking scenes to be longer.

I've seen the reviews on goodreads and I must say I don’t think this book is for everyone because of the way the book ended and the lack of explanations. I think YA readers have grown to expect to know everything straight away and in this case we only learn some of this and I actually like that, as it builds up the mystery aspect. I have to give this book 4 stars.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for fuel great review! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed it!

Faye (Daydreaming_Star) said...

Great Review Fashionita!
I'm glad you liked it as much as I did!
In all honesty, I didn't really think about the dad or the brother while reading but now you mention it I'm like... 'oh yeah!'. It definitely would have been nice to have seen more from their perspective!
And the hiking bit did feel a bit rushed too. They were just there and then... that happened.

Interesting though! :D

Faye

Post a Comment