Friday, April 13, 2012

Ink by Tory Temple

Summary:
Cade Tomlin wants nothing more than to tattoo people. He’s been drawing on himself with markers since he was little, but it can’t compare to the feel of a tattoo machine in his hand. When he finally discovers an artist who is willing to take him on as an apprentice, Cade learns more secrets and details about tattooing than he thought existed. However, his first real client, Kip Parker, teaches him much more about what a meaningful tattoo can say.

Reviewer: Fashionta
Cade has been obsessed with tattoos since he was a little kid and even went as far as drawing on himself when he was a kid. After his mother dies, he takes off to the city to find an apprenticeship at a tattoo parlor. I really didn't get the reason for spending so much of a short story having him search for a job. The author described each place he went into looking for a job but once he finally gets a job she skips ahead over a year to when he is about to do his first tattoo. I think it would have been better to just skip the first part of the story, I didn't see a point to it and it seemed like filler.

After Kip receives a tattoo from Graham (the person who is apprenticing Cade) he decides to come back about a week later and ask for a tattoo from Cade. This is after Cade tells him he has yet to do a tattoo on a person and is only practicing on oranges and such and Kip has never seen any of Cade's work. That just isn't believable to me, I mean really who would gets a large tattoo on their chest from someone that isn't working yet. After the tattoo is done (which of course was perfect) they go back to Cade's house and jump into bed and decide to try and date.

I'm giving Ink by Tory Temple three stars, I just really couldn't get into the story and didn't get the point of it, so I can't give it a higher rating. But it wasn't a bad story or anything, so I think an average rating is just right for it.

Publisher: Torquere Press
Review Courtesy Of: ManicReaders

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've met tons of people who let their, obviously amateur, friends tattoo them. While I personally think its insane to let a total newbie anywhere near your body with a needle, I wouldn't say its that far fetched. :)

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

Not a fan of tats..LOL. I see a lot of authors dwell on describing things that should have hit the editing floor. Great review. I love the cover.

Post a Comment