Saturday, April 14, 2012

Soy Sauce Face by Sedonia Guillone

Summary:
Sometimes the best kept secret is the one you keep from yourself…

“I’m an ordinary man with an ordinary life in every way. Except for Jun. That’s what I think to myself every night when I watch Jun getting ready for his work as a bar host in Kabukicho. He’s everything I’m not. He’s the beautiful, graceful, sociable and ambitious counterpart to me—a hulking, reclusive, completely unambitious guy who’d rather fix car and motorcycle engines all day than interact with people… I’d be happy if Jun just stayed here with me the rest of our lives, in this little apartment we’d once shared with Dad. But Jun has other plans.”

Or so Jun thinks. One night he gets ready and goes to work. But a tragic occurrence derails his career and all his plans for the future.

Through the eyes of his best friend, Tomo, the man who loves him above all others, Jun will be forced to confront himself, his deepest fears, hates, desires. And his deepest love.

Reviewer: TigerLily
Jun declares to Tomo “I want to come home now”. That about sums it up. This is the sweetest story I’ve read. Tomo is in love with his adopted brother and his best friend. He builds his life around Jun, while Jun deals with his life and guilt over his mother leaving him. When Jun is attacked, Tomo is there to nurture him back to life.

This is a beautiful love story of two people who love each other but are afraid to express their feelings in fear of rejection and because they didn't want to lose what they have. I loved the story and the writing was exquisite. I also loved how the story was told through Tomo, it made all the feelings, the struggles, and the exasperation feel so real. 5 stars

Publisher: Ai Press

0 comments:

Post a Comment