Monday, April 9, 2012

Trial (Appearances Trilogy 1) by Etienne

Summary:
Attorney Charles Barnett thought it was all over for him and his heart. In the three years since his partner died, he hasn’t felt so much as a spark of attraction to another man. That suddenly changes when Charles is assigned a new case and meets his new client. Recent widower Philip d’Autremont has been traveling in all the same circles as Charles, but somehow they’ve never managed to meet. Now that they have, both men find themselves falling hard and fast.

But there’s more than one hurdle to Charles and Philip beginning a love affair, much less maintaining it: Philip is on trial for murder, a politically ambitious and homophobic district attorney is determined to convict him, and Charles is responsible for Philip’s defense.

Reviewer: Fashionta
Finally! I have been waiting for this Trilogy for what seems like forever at times! Seeing as how I’ve loved practically every book by Etienne, I knew I simply had to read this. And I’m so happy I did!

You first meet Charles Barnett and Philip d’Autremont in the Avondale Series by Etienne, they become good friends with George Martin and Mike Foster who stories can be found in Bodies of Work, Drag and Drop, and Break and Enter – must reads! Charles and Philip make a few smaller appearances in a few of the other books in the Avondale series as well.

Ok, so now that I’ve shared where you first originally meet Charles and Philip I can tell you why I enjoyed this book! For all intents and purposes it first book of the Appearances Trilogy feels more like a build up of the character than anything else. I know many of us were expecting to see more on the actual murder trial, and have been left feeling put out. I mean I did.

Yet as a few days passed and I continued to think of this story, it started to make more sense. For what I gathered this gave us more depth into Charles and Philips relationship both together and separate. Seeing has how most of the story generated more around there lives working up to the trial. I really enjoyed the detail that went into explaining how they lived and viewed each other and those around them. Charles seemed to always try and take care of anyone that touched his life, whether it be a client or some random person. While Philip struggled to come to terms with what happened to his wife, even though it was a marriage of convenience, he still cared about her.

The instant love at first sight, really threw me at first; especially how Charles made that deal with Philip where he will help with the legal issues until they are resolved, but that he gets Philip the whole time or until they get tired of each other. That threw me off a little at first; left me going, huh? That’s the romance? That doesn’t really give me the feeling of something strong forming. But of course as soon as that seed of doubt was planted, it was immediately removed just as fast. Because you start to see how good Charles and Philip are for each other. They really work well as a couple.

The side characters are truly great in this series as well. I loved Charles' grandmother; she is definitely one awesome lady! So sharp and educated, nothing gets past her! Richard is also a great friend for Charles to have; he seems to really care for what happens in his life, but then that could also be because he once hoped something would have developed between Charles and himself. But than it seems Richard also becomes a good friend to Philip as well. I hope to see more of Richard in the books to come in the Appearances Trilogy. This book is very well thought out, beautifully written; but then all of Etienne’s books usually are!

I give this 4.5 stars….It’s really a wonderful read, and I simple can’t wait for Tribulation (Appearances Trilogy 2) or Triumph (Appearances Trilogy 3). I always look forward to any of Etienne’s books, truly one of my favorite authors!

Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
Review Courtesy Of: NetGalley

0 comments:

Post a Comment