Monday, October 3, 2011

Malachite: The Year Without Summer by Kate Cotoner

Summary:
A murderer is loose in London's most notorious rookery, and now his evil is spreading to the upper classes. Constable Nicholas Green is sent undercover to investigate, armed only with his wit and a malachite talisman, a gift from his mother. At the multiple crossroads of Seven Dials, Nicholas meets Kristian, a mysterious gentleman who claims to know the identity and motivation of the Rookery Murderer.

Kristian is searching for a companion to help him defeat the dangerous, charismatic Lord Winter. He thinks he's found his man in Nicholas, and together they plunge into an underground world of occult and esoteric worship. The malachite talisman protects Nicholas from the evil that threatens to engulf the city, but only great sacrifice can ensure London's safety...

Reviewer: BlackTulip
I only knew Kate Cotoner paired off with Aleksandr Voinov and the fantastic book The Lion of Kent. I wasn't really sure if I would like this one because paranormal and fantasy are not what I usually read but the story intrigued me enough to give it a try!

I was extremely and pleasantly surprised by it. I was quiet literally absorbed by the book and its very strange and very thrilling atmosphere. The mixing of several different genres and periods was very craftily done and the result was a very interesting, original, and well written book. Her description of Victorian London was superb and so realistic.

We have here an very engaging murder mystery, combined with a paranormal twist. We have two contrasting main characters, coming from dissimilar worlds who both have their own goal to attain. At the end Nicholas' and Kristian's world will merge. This book really kept my attention from start to finish.

As I said already, I'm not accustomed to reading this genre but I have to say that I loved it! I give it a 4.5.

See the original review on goodreads
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/218661092

0 comments:

Post a Comment