Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Teenaged Pussies From Outer Space by Rob Loughran

Summary:
TEENAGED PUSSIES FROM OUTER SPACE: A LOVE STORY is about love, science, beer, life, immortality and the three cutest little space invaders since E.T.

Reviewer: avidscribe
Somewhere out there are men, presumably, who will enjoy this fast paced sci-fi comedy. Being female, I did not. The story is dependent on a strong knowledge of American pop culture. If you haven't seen Star Wars (and there ARE those who haven't out there somewhere), the Burns and Allen Show, if you don't know who Keith Richards is or why he's famous aside from the music, if you don't know who Jerry Garcia is or why even the word 'winnebago' is inherently funny, if you don't know commercial jingles and have never seen Disney's animated film Bambi, you won't get this book. It is unrepentantly made in the U.S. of A. referencing, too, Gomer Pyle and Jack Kervorkian as well as basing itself in Vegas and using the territory for some of its humor ... not to mention the scene at Mt. Rushmore when the E.T.s decide to hump the noses of the presidents carved into the side of the mountain there. Don't ask.

It's [an attempt] at broad strokes of humor with its reliance on beer, farts and bowling. In that, it tries too hard to be funny giving us appliances with acronyms meant to be a howl that come off only as puerile (ENEMA [Emergency Nuclear Eradication and deMolition Apparatus] and HERNIA [Handheld Retroactive Nuclear Identification Apparatus].

The story lost coherence for me when the E.T.s (known as Glows) emerge taking on the appearance of Bambi, Thumper and Flower. Further pages in, they're humping the noses of the Rushmore monument. When the aliens mutated into the form of gnarled vaginas I am not sure, my eyes glazed over by that point. It all ends near the Washington Monument because the structure is 550 feet tall, shaped like a phallus and a perfect size for the lusting aliens. I actually winced by this point, he threw in the concept of the Glows menstruating a choking red tide rising all across D.C.

I read this TWICE hoping for some understanding why it should get such a stellar initial review on Amazon. I feel like I've got the wrong genitalia and I'm standing outside an all-men's club and don't know the secret handshake. Sorry. Pass. I prefer a read that isn't hammering me with embarrassingly gross teenage humor. 1 star

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for reading it twice. It is gross teenaged humor. I appreciate the effort, but oh well...not everything is for everybody.

An honest and truly appreciative thank you,

Rob Loughran
Windsor, CA

Jessica ( frellathon ) said...

As the person who gave that stellar review on amazon and my own blog I feel the need to chime in here. You obviously didn't care for the humor in the book and I can't argue with that humor is very, very subjective. I for one hate Will Ferrell many people however love him, I can't for the life of me figure out why. But with all due respect here when an author sends me a book titled Teenaged Pussies From Outer Space about vulva shaped aliens it is quite obvious that vagina jokes will be involved and will most likely just be the tip of the iceberg.

Post a Comment