Friday, July 20, 2012

Desert Fire (Legend & Lore #2) by T.T. Kove











Summary:

Brand is a man adrift: he is wolf shifter and fire witch, a traitor to his people for saving a friend on whom he turned his back long ago, a friend who no longer has need of him. He has no place to call home, no one to call family or friend, and no idea where he belongs.

With nothing better to do, he decides to seek out the infamous dragons in the firelands, curious to see if their fires will be hot enough to burn a fire witch, to see if perhaps a place that welcomes fire might have a place for him…



 Reviewer: Reddragonfly


I read and reviewed Forest of Fenris about a month ago and when I reviewed it, I remember one of my complaints was that I wanted to know more about Brand and the big secret that was mentioned but never really explained. Now I'm wishing  that I had known that there would be a sequel to Forest of Fenris that would have Brand as the main character because I wouldn't have even brought it up. However, I'm afraid that I'm now once again mentioning it, because it's still never really explained why he is a shifter that is also able to create fire when normally shifters bond with mages and do not possess these traits. 

When I read Forest of Fenris, I read it in one sitting and enjoyed it but had wanted more, with Desert Fire it took me 2 tries to read it  cause I just couldn't get into it the first time. I tried, but the  second time around I was able to finish it but just not enjoy it like the first book. I felt like this novella had too many secondary characters for only 20k words. Because of this, the character development of Brand's love interest, Khaltah, wasn't enough and I just didn't feel the  connection between them. Another problem I had was that when Brand and Khaltah first met, Khaltah said he was still in love with Kamoor but the  next day he was suddenly in love with Brand. I felt like Khaltah and Kamoor might have been better off ending up together and was kind of hoping that they would. 

One thing that I did love about this novel was the plot and world development. I felt like what it lacked in character development it more than made up for in those areas and do plan on reading the future books in this series. I'm giving this story 3.5 stars. 


 Publisher:  Less Than Three Press                                                                                  


Source:  Manic Readers

0 comments:

Post a Comment