Sunday, July 1, 2012

Dead Sexy Entangled Tour - Mallory Kane Guest Post





With a mother who was a librarian and a father who was a master storyteller, I naturally was reading from the time I was three years old and sat in my mother's lap, making her sound out words for me. I wasn't much older when I wrote my first story. However, it did take me a little longer to get published. My first e-book (WAY before e-readers) was published in 1995 and my first print book appeared on the shelves in 2001. I had a successful career as a pharmacist between 1972 and 1997, when I retired. At that time I began writing full time.

My first book for Entangled Publishing is a launch book for Entangled's Dead Sexy imprint called No Hero. Here's a bit about the book.

Teenagers are being murdered in New Orleans. Not just any teens, teens from Detective Devereux Gautier's Johnson Center for Homeless Teens. Dev is determined to catch the killer before any more kids are killed, but he has no leads. Then Reghan Connor shows up, telling him she knows who the killer is. He'd be more inclined to believe her if she hadn't exposed the past he'd worked for 20 years to hide on her TV news show. But when another teen is murdered, Dev begins to realize that Connor may have the key to catching the killer. But she nearly destroyed his career and his life once. If he works with her on this case, what will stop her from doing it again?

Writers and readers often ask me whether I'm a plotter or a pantser (writing by the seat of my pants.)
Years ago I, like a lot of other writers, considered myself a pantser. But once I'd sold my first book to Harlequin Intrigue in 2000, I realized that I no longer had the luxury of writing a book by the seat of my pants. If I wanted to write 3 or 4 books a year, I was going to have to make some sort of plan. I worried about plotting a book out before I started writing it. I was afraid I'd lose the magic that happened when I let the book take its own path. But in fact, I don't feel like I'm missing out on magic at all. Whether plotting or pantsing, there's still plenty of magic.
My advice for anyone who wants to write for publication is never ever ever ever ever give up. Ever. If you truly want to see your book in print, you may have to go through a lot of rejections. Don't let them get you down.

My biggest fan was always my daddy. Every day of my life he let me know that I could do anything I put my mind to, and he treated me as if I could do anything. He taught by example, excelling at everything he did in life, from being an All-American basketball player, a winning and respected basketball coach, a decorated war hero and a beloved husband and father. He was always my biggest fan. When I published my first book, he told me that if he could write, he'd never do anything else.

I love the opportunity to talk to readers and writers. Readers, because without you, we writers would be putting all of our efforts under the bed to gather dust. Writers, because there's nothing a writer loves to do more than talking to other writers about writing, reading and avoiding writing. We like to remind ourselves that each one of us is unique, just like all the rest of us.  :)

Thanks so much for inviting me to be a guest today.

Keep on reading,

mallory@mallorykane.com
 http://www.mallorykane.com
http://www.facebook.com/mallorykane
https://twitter.com/#!/mallorykane
http://www.entangledpublishing.com/no-hero/

0 comments:

Post a Comment